Food Allergy Brief Introduction
Food allergy is a complex of immune responses that can cause chronic
disease. We think that 100 Million Canadians and Americans have disease
from Food Allergy. The advocates of a broad definition of food allergy run
the risk of being evangelical.
The conviction that food allergy is a common cause of disease comes from
several vantage points:
- knowing the wide range of benefits of diet revision in clinical
- observing food reactive symptoms in recovering patients
- understanding the immune mechanisms behind food allergy
- recognizing problems in the food supply
- recognizing the limitations and failure possibilities of the digestive
There are different types of food allergy.
1. The immediate or type 1 food allergy pattern is easily recognized
because it involves quick and dramatic symptoms. Hay fever is the most common
type 1 allergy and can be diagnosed by allergy skin tests. Some food allergy
is also type 1 and shows up on skin tests.
2. Delayed patterns of food allergy are not so obvious and generally
go unrecognized. Allergy skin tests do not show this problem nor do IgE
antibody tests. Symptom onset is delayed many hours after eating foods and
chronic disease is often the result.
Food Allergy as Common Disease
Knowledge of the nature and mechanism of allergic reactions to
foods is limited. Uncertainty about mechanisms of food reactions continues
into the community where many improvised and questionable tests and treatments
for food allergy or "food sensitivity" have become popular. The
relative neglect of food factors in medical practice creates interesting
blind-spots in the handling of patients and the understanding of disease.
A major shift of popular interest in food problems, however, has created
a need for better informed physicians who are ready to grapple with the
real-life issues of food, eating, and the multifaceted problem of adverse
reactions to food. The subject of food allergy has never assumed the importance
that it is due.
Many books in the popular literature talk about food allergy, sensitivity
and intolerance. Many books and articles proclaim the benefits of diet revision
and a ground-swell of interest and concern has engaged an ever-enlarging
group of patients in the search for nutritional solutions to their health
problems. A variety of practitioners have emerged with dubious schemes to
test for and treat "food sensitivity". Some MDs, unfortunately,
have retreated to the safe ground of ignorance & prejudice and believe
that food allergy is something for quacks and charlatans and not real doctors.
Often, the patients who benefit from proper diet revision are distanced
from a medical profession who is not interested or denies the problem of
food allergy. Some of the issues that arise are semantic and political;
some of the issues arise from vested interests attempting to control public
opinion. Other issues involve the very complex biology of food-body interactions,
which are not well understood. Yet other issues involve the changes in the
food supply which have accelerated in the past few decades.
When you do not know about food allergy mysterious diseases surround
you. When you know about food allergy, a lot of common illness patterns
begin to make sense. Linda Gamlin writing about food allergy in the New
Scientist stated that: "Evidence is growing that many debilitating
and chronic symptoms of ill health come from an intolerance for certain
foods. The medical establishment finds many aspects of food intolerance
difficult to swallow, but the main problem is the plethora of symptoms and
the variations from one patient to another. Doctors working with food intolerance
report more than 40 possible symptoms and conditions...the severity also
varies. Some patients are said to have nothing more than the occasional
migraine or bout of fatigue, while at the other end of the scale the sufferer
is unable to work or lead any sort of normal life."
Here are our basic assumptions:
- Food allergy is caused by immune responses to food materials.
- There are several different mechanisms of food allergy.
- Everyone has food allergy - its a matter of how much.
- Most symptomatic people do not know they have food allergy.
- The existence of food allergy is often missed or ignored.
- There are no reliable laboratory tests for food allergy.
- Many tests of food allergy or "sensitivity" are offered.
- Diet revision is both diagnostic and therapeutic.
- You get better by following a proper diet revision plan such as
- You get symptoms back when you eat the wrong food.
- Immune responses to food materials create many symptoms in any and
all tissues of the body in complex patterns.
- We refer to all types of immune responses to food as food allergy,
not "food sensitivity" nor "food intolerance".
The Most Common Symptoms
The most common presentation of food allergy is a nonspecific illness
with many symptoms in many parts of the body over a long period of time
(months to years). Flushing, sweating, fevers with food allergy feel like
an infection or the "flu". The illness may be mild and involve
symptoms which either come and go over many years or the illness
may progress and become disabling.
- abdominal pain
- aching, stiffness
- cravings, compulsive
- nose congestion
- edema ( water retention)
- indigestion, flatulence
- mental fogginess
- sore throat
- joint pain
- muscle aching
- sleep disturbances
A whole-body disease
- Over time food allergic symptoms may appear in any part of the body.
- Symptom clusters may have descriptive
names or diagnoses such as
irritable bowel, migraine, chronic
- Other symptom complexes remain ill-defined and nameless.
- Many patients with food allergy have a combination of these specific
and non-specific problems and we have called it the Type III pattern
or the "Sick-all-over Syndrome"
- Since food allergy is a whole-body disease, a lottery selection
of disturbances may evolve over many years. In many patients, we can
trace the illness pattern back to infancy with slow, intermittent emergence
- In other patients the illness begins abruptly with few prior symptoms
and progresses rapidly.
- A non-specific food-allergic illness may eventually become a more
severe chronic illness such as arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease,
asthma, or lupus erythematosis.
- Food allergy is often confused with infections, bacterial and viral.
Symptoms such as aching, fever, fatigue, headache are common to both
allergy and infection. The diagnosis may be colds, flu, Epstein Barr
virus, candida yeast infection, or just "a virus". But food
allergy keeps recurring, whereas infections are usually infrequent events.
- Abnormal eating patterns are often part of any food allergy complex.
Many patients describe intense food cravings with
compulsive eating and
excessive weight gain. Others develop food aversions, become picky,
fussy eaters and may have erratic weight fluctuations or lose weight.
- Abnormal eating experiences and problems with
weight management may be symptoms
of food allergy.
- A small number of the patients are starving from food deprivation.
They have learned to avoid eating because it causes them so much discomfort;
the longer they avoid food the less tolerance they have for eating.
The Alpha Nutrition Program is a complete diet revision package, designed
to solve the complex problems of food allergy and related disorders.
- The Food Allergy Center is devoted to explaining a complicated
subject. We offer rich resources online and encourage our readers to further
pursue their interest by reading our books. This is an educational
resource and order portal developed by Environmed Research Inc. Alpha Education books refer
to the Alpha Nutrition Programa standard method
of diet revision.
- Managing Food Allergy
Stephen Gislason MD explains how
food allergy causes many diseases that can be corrected by using proper diet revision. Click download to order eBook
- Download Free -- Food Allergy
- Hypoallergenic Nutrient Formulas
Alpha Nutrition Formulas are gluten free and do not contain cows milk, soya, or egg ingredients. They do not contain
food dyes or other additives. They are suitable for vegetarians.
Food Allergy Rescue A starter pack for all food allergy problems, anaphylaxis, hypersensitivity diseases, autoimmune diseases.
- The Starter Pack Includes Alpha ENF, the Alpha Nutrition Program and the book, Food Allergy.
Order Food Allergy Rescue Starter Pack
Order Alpha Education Books
Alpha Education printed books, Alpha Nutrition formulas and Starter packs
are ordered at Alpha Online. Click the Add to Cart buttons to begin your order
for printed books, sent by the Post Office to all destinations in
Canada and USA.
Click the Download buttons to order eBooks.
You are visiting the Food Allergy Center at Alpha Online, and educational
resource and order portal developed by Alpha Nutrition.
Alpha Education books refer
to the Alpha Nutrition Program a standard method
of diet revision. The starter packs are sold at discounts to make it easier and more affordable for you
to learn more and try our nutrient formulas. Alpha Education printed books,
eBooks for download, Alpha Nutrition formulas and Starter packs are all ordered at Alpha Online. Physical
shipments by the Post Office to destinations in Canada and USA.
PayPal is a secure payment gateway that authorizes credit card
payments. PayPal acts as a secure payment gateway for Visa, MasterCard, Discovery or AMEX credit cards.
When your payment information is complete, you will receive an order
confirmation email from PayPal and from Alpha Nutrition Online. We ship your
order usually wthin two business day. Prices are listed in Canadian Dollars.
US Costs are lower because of
a favorable exchange rate.
Please see Pay Pal Information
Alpha Nutrition ® is a registered trademark and a division of Environmed Research Inc.,
Sechelt, British Columbia, Canada. In business since 1984. Online since 1995.
email Alpha Online Mail